Friday, November 19, 2010

When The Man tries to hold you back...make delicious food out of pumpkins

Ok. Here's the deal. Melissa and I are a banking anomaly. We opened our accounts at the same bank on the same day almost two months ago. Our PINs (in France you have to say 'code secret' or else they get annoyed) have not arrived. The first time, we though, 'thats weird', and they ordered another one. The second time the bank employees thought it was very strange that they hadn't shown up and quickly ordered new PINs for us. When those didn't arrive, we changed the addesss to that of one of the teachers at our school. Two weeks later, still no luck. Needless to say, when we marched to the bank today we were ready to share our thoughts with some gusto. Was anything accomplished? We'll see. They changed our address' to the bank's address and will call us as soon as it comes in. This is breaking the biggest Code Secret rule of security but they have no other options. So, we get to wait another week to see if it shows up.

There are only two reasons this really even matters.
#1 French banks do not have cash on hand. if you want to get cash out you must use the ATM provided. Also, all checks are deposited into your account through a different ATM-type machine. You put the checks into an envelope and drop in through the slot and later it will show up in your account. So, it is impossible to even write a check and cash it at the bank. This fun fact: this makes is very difficult to go to Nantes for the weekend and have fun with my friends (ie. ice skating and house warming parties)! Dang. I guess I'll be sitting this one out.

#2 You can not start using your debit card until it has been activated. To activate your card you must withdrawl money from an ATM which we all know to be an insurmountable task is your don't happen to have a PIN. So, I can't use my card to buy anything online. Good and bad thing all wrapped up together? Yes, indeed. It has made it infeasible for me to by a fabulous birthday dress (good thing, I can buy one in France) but it has also made buying flights to and from Scotland for Christmas out of the question and while I wait those prices just creep higher and higher.

Anyway, I'm a little stressed about it. How does one cure a horribly boring weekend in the country with no money? By baking lots and lots of delicious treats to share with everyone. Thanksgiving is just around the corner you know. I think I'll make pumpkin cookies to share with the students during our lesson on Thanksgiving; then I'll really be the cool teacher.

On the plus side, I got a really cute 'Happy Thanksgiving' card from Janelle's parents today. A great way to start the day. Thanks Lourie and Bob!

No comments:

Post a Comment