Sunday, July 29, 2012

Good things come to those who wait - 50th Anniversay, Mexican food and friends

So much as happened in the last three weeks let alone the last two months that I really don't know where to start. Let's start with the here and now. As I sit here in my little pink Peace Corps house I am greeted by the melodies of a musical group drumming, strumming and chiming away at the neighborhood Wat a few hundred meters from my open window. The music paired with the gentle rain fall and dancing trees in the wind make the situation even more comfortable. The notes that are fluttering into my house are exactly what you would imagine if you were to think of a mediation retreat at a hilltop temple- encouraging, full of story and exotic. At this moment it is a very nice reminder that I am in fact on a grand adventure. After the last few weeks of living in hotels and eating farang (foreigner) food I feel that I need a reminder as to why I'm here and what my goals are. That is not to say that I didn't completely love the last two weeks full of new experiences and time with friends. Actually, I'd like to thank everyone for making the two weeks at Reconnect so amazing.

On July 13th we had the honor of attending the events for the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps Thailand. To make the celebration even more prestigious a speech was made by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. She had wonderful things to say about the work done by Peace Corps Volunteers over the last 50 years. It was an unforgettable opportunity. Sixty volunteers had the chance to be in a photo with HRH. I was lucky enough to have my name drawn (literally from a hat) to be in Group 124's photo.

Peace Corps Thailand Group 124 with HRH Maha Chakri Sirindhorn
Karissa, Emily and I at the event.
The 50th anniversary was held in Bangkok. It was my first time staying in the city long enough to get a feel for the vibe. I had spent one night previously and it was not the best first impression. My initial trip to Bangkok for a medical appointment went fine until I had to find my way to a hotel alone at night. I had gone to dinner and shopping with a PC staff member and then took a bus back towards the office. I had a make shift map of how to get to the hotel from the PC office. I was told it was an easy 10 minute walk. I've traveled a fair amount and was sure I could figure it out. Generally, Thais don't walk places. So, upon hearing '10 minutes' I assumed five minutes in American paced walking. So, I got off the bus, bought a giant bottle of water (they only come in small or 1.5 liters), whipped out my map and set off. Only after walking for 15 minutes at American speed did I realize that things were not quite as they seemed. Monuments were not in order on my map and small side streets were not marked at all except for the one I was supposed to find...which didn't have a name. So, I kept on. I marked off landmarks as I passes them. A hospital-check, the national library-check yet there as no guesthouse in sight. By this time it was about 11 o'clock at night and I had been walking and back-tracking and asking for directions from Thai shopkeepers for about and hour and a half. Finally, I bumped into a few drunk Americans who were on a post graduation vacation. They asked where I was going, I told them I couldn't find it. They asked why I didn't have any stuff with me. I told them I was in the Peace Corps and I was just in BKK for the day. They asked why Peace Corps didn't just drive me to the hotel. I told them that Peace Corps does not function that way. They give you the tools and the knowledge and let you figure the rest out. We shortly parted ways and I decided to give up on my quest. I found an open guesthouse and didn't look too freaky and got myself into a private room (closet). I brushed my teeth, hopped into the well worn sheets and dozed for a few hours. I was up at 6. I decided to retrace my steps to see how far I had actually wandered the night before. I was about four miles from the Peace Corps office. Lesson learned? Visit the place you will be staying during the day. Navigating BKK is tricky by day and by night its not very fun.

My second time around Valerie and I stayed at Lub.d hostel. Its a little pricier (for PCVs not people with real money) but well worth it. You pay for location but its totally worth it. Its steps away from the sky train and smack in the middle of Siam- a bustling neighborhood including a few malls, a gourmet food court and glorious night markets. We spent our free time shopping and eating as much ethnic food as possible (pizza, burgers, pasta, burritos, red wine and margaritas). We even found a pretty legit Irish pub that served Kilkenny Red Ale and was playing rugby on their T.V.s. It is hard to describe how all of this made me feel after being away from it for six months. I guess it felt normal to be in a city and to be able to eat/do anything you want at any time. That being said, I was tiring of how expensive everything was and I was craving some Som Tam. Its going to be very strange in 19 months when I go back to that for good. I have a feeling that the reverse culture shock is going to be intense. I already have adverse reactions to tourists. My view of what is appropriate is drastically different now. When I see people in short shorts or tube tops I literally stare. Not because I've never worn it but because I never see it anymore. So, if you plan on visiting, bring knee length shorts, dresses, skirts and shirts with sleeves (even if they are little). Also, please don't tie your shoes to your backpack. That my friends is a big cultural 'no no' that I see many a farang doing. The less offensive you are the better time you'll have. So smile and put on some clothes.



Chadchaya, Faith and I making Geng Kiao Wan
(Sweet Green Curry)
The next two weeks all 50 of us stayed at a hotel in Suphan Buri for an additional two weeks of training. Peace Corps training is twelve weeks long. PC Thailand Breaks it into two different sessions- which I love- ten weeks as soon as you arrive and then another two weeks after your first three months at site. This gives volunteers a chance to get in some self directed learning and bring up questions they are facing in their villages. Once again, shout out to group 124! I know almost all Peace Corps groups in every Peace Corps country thinks the same thing- that their group is awesome and ideal. I mean, I can't argue. I'm sure we're all awesome. I just happen to be very proud of how my group gets along. We would have sessions all day from 8-4:30 and then we would plan extra activities for ourselves. I think the extra planning comes from the fact that we haven't been able to plan anything social for the past 7 months. That is neither here nor there. Collectively we planned and successfully planned a poetry reading, two alternating workout classes/groups, massage sessions (done by our resident licensed masseuse), hair cuts, an Improv. night, two birthday parties, a cooking class and a fashion show. It was a ton of fun and I can't believe we have to wait until Mid-Service to see everyone again. Maybe we will plan a regional Thanksgiving.
Some of the girls celebrating Kyle's birthday!

Enjoying some ice cream and sorbet after a long day.
Now, I am home safe and sound for a few days. The return timing was a little strange. It is only a three day school week and then a four day weekend. I will be heading to Railay beach for the weekend. I can't wait to play in the sand and surf for a few days. Once again, I am often surprised at the life I am living.

Tomorrow is a very special day and I won't be able to participate. One of my closest friends is getting married. It is the small things like missing important days and events that bring on the homesickness. So, good luck and congratulations to Mr. Chris Sabo and Mrs. Lyndsey Anderson (soon to be Sabo)! I love you guys and know you'll be together forever...potentially the worlds most perfect pair.

Last but not least: All of the lucky soon to be Peace Corps Volunteers: If you open your little blue packet and see 'Country of Service: THAILAND' know that you're in good hands. We're all excited to meet group 125! We've made a Facebook group just for you. So, log on, search: Peace Corps Thailand 125 and you'll be on your way to making new life long friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment