Saturday, May 26, 2012

this bread is bananas. b-a-n-a-n-a-s!

The last week was full of fun and inspiring days along with a few cultural differences-slaps in the face...but hey, you can't win 'em all.
high-lights:
'When I grow up I want to be an artist!'
English Club- 90 kids drawing themselves as their grown ups in their dream professions. Adorable. Extra high-fives for those future artists and teachers!

2nd Graders- On Wednesday, at my smaller school a few second graders came to find me. They asked to 'shake hands' while miming the action (I don't know where they learned about this). So, indulging them, I shook their hands. Instead of letting go, they then bowed to me (still holding my hand) and then kissed my hand like I was a queen. The rest of the class got wind of what was going on, along with a few 3rd graders and soon enough there was a line of children to shake and then kiss my hand. Sometimes my life is so surreal.

Jaree's visit- Jaree is the Program Manager for the CBOD program here in Thailand. She was out and about in Kamphaeng Phet visit other volunteers and since she was in the neighborhood decided to come and say hello. Since I'm TCCO and she wasn't there to do an official evaluation we just got to have a very relaxed chat. It was so wonderful to talk to staff about trials, tribulations, worries and successes. She had positive feedback and was pleased to see how things were going and then helped to clear up some miscommunication about the goals of the Peace Corps program here. I wish she could visit weekly. 

Banana bread- So, I've been doing a little research on how to bake with limited resources (an oven) and came across a few recipes online involving a rice cooker. Considering I'm serving in South-East Asia a rice cooker is one thing I do have in my new rental house. Houses are probably considered bad luck unless they have one upon moving in. If you didn't know, rice is a big deal here.
That being said, today I tried it for the first time! It worked perfectly. It is essentially like cooking in a dutch oven for all of you outdoorsy people or pioneers out there. So, make it in the woods too.
Here's how it went:
What you need.

mix butter, egg, and bananas. next, add sugar. then, add dry ingredients.

grease and flour rice cooker pan

throw in the dough and you're ready to go


I thought my rice cooker knew it wasn't rice and turned off just to spite me. So, I held the button down with books. Don't do this. Your rice cooker knows whats up. Things started to smell burnt after about 2 minutes. I removed the books and everything was great after that.

finished when a toothpick or chopstick in my case comes out clean

flip on to some sort of clean surface. be careful, the pan is really hot. duh.

Enjoy the delicious dense banana bread! 

How much of what?
1 egg
5 small bananas (or equivalent)
5 tablespoons of butter
2/3 cup of sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
* this would be even more delicious with cinnamon and nutmeg and nuts...the sky's the limit. Create!

I am so happy and excited this worked. If banana bread works then peanut butter banana bread, pumpkin bread and carrot cake will all work too.

Lastly, some words of wisdom I found on a student's English notebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment