Friday, February 3, 2012

Nothing but smiling faces and mosquito bites


Once again... sorry I've been so absent with this blog writing thing.
We've been very busy. Everything has been going exceptionally well. Most days start off with a four hour block of language training. I can not believe how quickly we are all picking up the Thai language. Before I left I was pretty terrified about learning the language (it seemed impossible). I'm now at the point where the words and sounds don't sound particularly foreign... they just sound like words. We are also learning the alphabet at the same time and we've gotten to the point in which we can sound out words and read whole sentences! I can't believe we've only been learning for two weeks. So far we can talk about our families, introduce ourselves and ask others about themselves, order food, talk about likes/dislikes with food and activities, ask about languages, talk about things we do well (or don't do well), tell people were we are going and ask about where they have been, and can tell time and ask when things are. I can't wait to learn more and be able to physically write in Thai.
The technical part of training has been a little more challenging. Some of us are unclear about the objectives but we're making it work. Its all part of the process. A bit about my practicum school: I'm co-teaching with the fabulous Erin. We're teaching three sections of M.3 (9th grade) and two sections of M.4 (10th grade). Its been fun so far but our feedback has been that our lessons were too easy...at least the student's liked it (and understood)!

Its been so long and I feel like there are so many stories from each week that I am not sure where to start. So, I think I'll sum up some of the coolest moments so far or the most impressive memories.
- The Thai people. I seriously can not believe how nice everyone is. It is rude not to smile at strangers (such a strange experience after France). Everyone is more than hospitable. I just was informed today that there is a man who's house we ride by on the way to language in the morning and he wants to cook us lunch in the next few weeks just to hep welcome us 'fa-rangs' to the community.
-The Language training. I know I mentioned just above but the methods that the ajaans (teachers) use is seriously impressive. We speak no English for 4 hours and just absorb Thai like our brains are two years old again. Its pretty cool.
- The food. Its been delicious, a little freaky, new and exciting. I've started calling all meal times 'adventure eating' because that is exactly what it is. I never know what is actually in the food that I'm given. I just try it and go from there. So far its been overwhelmingly good.
-  The children. Each day we ride our bikes to a Wat (temple) to learn Thai at a small school there. Each day we are greeted by anywhere from 5-20 smiling faces singing 'Hello! Good Morning!'...it really is the best way to start a day. Plus, they all line up for high-fives as we ride by on our bikes on the way out. Absolutely adorable.
- All in all I just feel very lucky and thankful for the opportunity to be here. I've met some fantastic people and I am sure that will only continue. Everyone is open and ready to meet the strange white foreigner. The Vice-Director at my practicum school already tried to hook me up with her son. He evidently speaks English very well and has white skin just like me... match made in heaven, right? 

       
Chicken-feet soup


Students at the school where we learn Thai.

Monkeys rule the streets of Lop Buri.

The view from my host family's river-side convenience store/ hangout area.

Karissa getting into the moves at a Thai birthday party!

These cows are huge and always just wandering around grazing. 
Our first elephant!

My February resolution is to write my frequently. They say resolutions are more likely to be stuck to if you write them down so, here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment