Friday, March 9, 2012

parting is such sweet sorrow

I can't believe its the end of week nine already. I have my final Language Proficiency Exam tomorrow afternoon. I need to score a Novice-high to not require a tutor at site. I feel pretty confident. We've learned a ton but our aa-jans (teachers) have been amazing. I'm amazed at our language abilities. So, we'll see how it goes tomorrow!

Today was the last day of technical training. Our session ended with a few tears and lots of hugs. I feel honored to be surrounded by my fellow TCCO volunteers. We've grown into a close little family full of support and encouragement. We love the CBOD volunteers but, the dynamics are just different. I'm sure they feel the same way. Today felt a little like the last day of high school...but like we were all going to the same university and would see each other around. I don't think it's really sunk in yet that in two weeks we're going to be alone in our communities. Its an entirely bittersweet situation. I love being a part of this community (Bangrachan, PC staff, aa-jans, PCTs) but at the same time I'm psyched to start the next phase of this adventure. The next week is going to be full of packing, prep for a farewell party, logistical meetings, Final Progress Reviews and then swearing in. Its about to get really real!

On an entirely different note, I now know what it is like to have some stomach 'bug' in a developing country. This weeks been a little rough. My friend Emily and I ate the same things for lunch at a random restaurant on Monday and things have not been the same since. I'm super thankful for the Thailand PCMOs. They are so sweet and follow up regularly. We now have antibiotics along with anti-cramping and anti-nausea so hopefully this will all end soon. You never appreciate your healthy body until you no longer have it. So be nice to your body, its an amazing thing.

My host family is so nice. They just informed that I need to be home by 5:30 pm tomorrow because we're going somewhere as a farewell treat before I move to Klong Klung. I have no idea what is in store but I'm sure its going to be awesome and 50% lost in translation...which makes it hilarious, fun and a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment