Saturday, March 17, 2012

That one story about the bugs...

First, I would like to start this riveting short story with a weather report. The 'hot' season in Thailand has officially started. It is much like that part in 'The Devine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood' where they say, 'There's not a g.damn breeze in the whole state of Louisiana'. You just sit and melt. So along with the heat and humidity the rice fields are also being harvested. When the fields are harvested there are millions or trillions of 1/8 inch long insects that swarm...everything.
So, like most insects they are drawn to light. Most families have been going 'lights out' at around 7:45 each night because if you have the lights on the room will be filled with hundred of these insects. I didn't really pay attention to this rule thinking that they'd mind their own business. Valerie was over last night until about 8:30. We we're just hanging, shootin' the breeze about the end of PST, you know, sweating together. She went home and I decided to take a shower.I thought I was being tricky by leaving the light in the hall on instead of in my room. I was anticipating the insects to fly towards the new light once mine was turned off. This was not the case.
I walked into my dark wood room after my shower (I didn't turn on the light) and started to change into my pajamas. Then out of no where I started being pelted by the bugs! They were flying onto me because I was the new lightest thing in the room. I had 50+ insects all over me. All I could think was, 'Is this real life?'.
People here are obsessed with white skin. They think it is very beautiful...but now it might also be a hazard! 

1 comment: