Thursday, March 1, 2012

Do you have mosquitoes in America?

Once again, I have more stories to share and no time to document all of the madness that is happening. At least it's good madness full of learning and friends and adventure so no complaints. I've been thinking a lot about how we all ultimately have one major choice each day. We can choose to be happy or we can opt for the (what I consider to be a lot more difficult) route of feeling like the world is out to get us. I don't know why I keep thinking about this but it really is nice to just choose the happier side of life. In any situation we have the option to feel upset or left out or like we got the short end of the stick but there is almost always a silver lining and I am going to cling to it for dear life if I have to. I'll let you know how it goes!

Last weekend we had or Peace Corps Office tour directly followed by our Site Visit! It was quite the adventure! The Peace Corps office is in an historic house in Bangkok and is equipped with not only offices of all of our favorite people, a medical wing but also a volunteer lounge full of books (hundreds), games, computers to use, t.v.s to watch, clean western bathrooms with showers to rinse off the road grime, couches to lounge on and a room to store your stuff while you bum around the city. Its nice to know there is a place to hangout that is our space. Its always a problem in cities to find a place to just be while waiting for a bus or connection. Now, we have one. While at the office I was asked to be the 'warden' for my region. I'm not sure what the position means but I'm pretty sure I will help to notify the other volunteers in case of an emergency, evacuation etc... It was nice to be asked by the Peace Corps staff. It was like a little vote of confidence that I wasn't expecting. Asking for my help insinuates that I'll be here for the two years and they do not feel concerned about my progress or abilities.

After the tour and pictures we were all off to the train or bus stations. I quickly got a ticket (using only Thai) and was set to leave within an hour. This meant that I didn't have a chance to eat pizza or nachos or a frappicino while in Bangkok but there will be time for that, I'm sure. I took a bus to what can only be described as a truck stop strip mall off of the freeway. I was a little confused about the location at the time but was insured by the driver that this is where I was to get off because he had spoken to my co-teacher on the phone. On the other side of the parking lot I was greeted by hugs and exceptionally warm smiles by Kru Kate (co-teacher #1) and her sister. So, I hoped in the car, we got some gas and we were off to meet her family. Its a very strange that I've turned into someone who can take a bus to the middle of nowhere to meet complete strangers in a language I don't actually speak and then stay with them for five days. Ten years ago this didn't even seem possible. Personal growth is a awesome thing to check back in on every now and again. At her house (which is beautiful and feels homey) I metKru Kate and the girl who is most likely going to be my new Thai best friend. Her name is Eim; she is 17, ambitious, funny, and so excited to help! Over the next 4 days we all spent time together, talked school, politics, vacations, food, made jokes, ate (the Thais love to eat), went orchid shopping, visited a medicinal hot spring, and went to school. I am in love with this family. They just feel so normal. I can't really imagine a better fit for a co-teacher. She is already on board 100% which is amazing considering we've been hearing horror stories from current PCVs about their teachers refusing to teach (as in they have not been in class for seven weeks in one case). I just don't foresee there being any major issues. The principal (or Paw-aw) is very excited for me to be there as are the teachers and students. The situation is great so far!

Monday was nation wide ONET testing and Kru Kate had to proctor the test at a different school. I went to 'our' school (she already calls it our school) just to hangout and be present. Little did I know that within the first thirty minutes of being there I'd be speaking to the entire school with microphones and video cameras. Impromptu speeches are not my forte but I put on the Peace Corps smile and did the dang thing. In retrospect, its actually really funny. It was like I was some sort of VIP coming to grace the school with my presence but really, I'm a dorky girl from Washington who just really likes to help. Throughout the day I felt like a celebrity always walking with teachers and engulfed in a sea of smiling children who were brimming with excitement and questions but were too shy to ask. By the end of the day the students warmed up and asked a few vital questions. Here is what I got: 'Do you have mosquitoes in America?', a fourth grader asked, 'We can be friends on Facebook?', 'How cold in snow?', 'Do you speak Thai?' which I answered in Thai and they all died laughing. It was a wonderful day full of small talk and genuine smiles.

Only seventeen more days until we swear in as official Peace Corps Volunteers. I can't believe how fast time flies. We have our Language Proficiency Exam a week from Saturday! Its crazy.
I'll leave with a few shots from this weekend!
They are all so beautiful!

Orchids for as far as you can see!

The future of Thailand (the kids, not me)

This is why my job rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment