Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Let's get back up to speed, shall we?


As usual, I've neglected to update my blog for an excusable amount of time. The fact of the matter is that things are starting to feel really normal here...even if crazy things happen everyday. I'm becoming much more comfortable with the continuous sweating, geckos and gecko poop all day everyday, strangers touching my skin, chickens in my yard that look like dinosaurs, lack of schedule (even though there is always a schedule), rice (I even miss it sometimes), intimate questions which I used to think were offensive, my hair falling out, my overwhelming hatred for ants, and my posse of elementary students who leave their classes to come find me and tell me every English word they know.

In the last month I've traveled to the south and north, started school at two schools, visited a national park, went to an Islamic wedding, slept and played on an island in the Andaman Sea, got to see new old friends (I already feel like I've know some of these people forever), missed home so much it hurt a little, moved into my own house, acted as translator for other 'farangs' who needed help and experienced far more than I can remember.

Here are a few examples to help you understand what I'm dealing with a on a daily basis:
- I am greeted by my co-workers as Ms. Universe or Ms. Thailand World more often than not.
- This year has been the hottest 'hot season' since 2002. Bring on the rain, please!
- An entire 5th grade class decided that since I don't already have a nickname, my nickname should be 'Barbie' because 'that's who you look like'. I would really like to see what their Barbies look like...if they are smelly, sweaty, and speak in broken Thai I might let them call me that.
- The cook at one of my schools was also my host 'mom' so she makes me delicious food everyday and I never have to deal with being offered pork or beef! Its awesome
-Students don't understand that people all over the world look differently from one another. I am still unsure how to answer questions like, 'why do you have blue eyes?' or 'why is your skin white!? its so beautiful!' Along with that, I think we're going to have some big talks about beauty and self esteem.
- Some days I wake up with geckos on me.
- I have no idea how I loved so long without eating tropical fruit everyday. It might be the hardest part of readjusting when I move home in 2 years.
- Learning how to cope when you're not prepared...almost everyday. When is the worst time to discover your head lamp is broken? When the power goes out and our in the middle of doing your laundry and you don't own any candles.
- Co-teaching is not as easy as it seems. We're all learning this day by day. I may in fact be the most patient person alive upon my return.

 I'll write in more detail about these events later but for now I'll give you some pictures to check out so it feels like you were there too!

Weea and I at the waterfall at the National Park close to my community.

In Khlong Lan National Park
Some of my favorite ladies at Rissa's co-teacher's wedding.
Thai princesses...I think we can all say, I've found my look!
Before Valerie's English camp they dressed us up in traditional Thai garb.


Arriving at Ko Phayam!

Sometimes Thailand looks like Washington.

Bungalow breakfast and the beach 50 yards away. Life is so good!

2nd grader posse

English Club! The first day we had 90 students attend. Its going to be intense!


No comments:

Post a Comment